The design concept for this office was a building within a building. Formerly an electric railway car barn built in 1907, the new office is both a new construction and an adaptive reuse project. It was designed and built to accommodate sustainable practices and the guidelines for historic renovation.
In the course of the project, the historic shell was added to the National Register of Historic places and rehabbed to accommodate State and Federal tax credits. A new exterior skin to match the original profile was added to maintain the fabric of the neighborhood and act as a weather barrier for the commercial office inside. Sustainable building processes, materials, and finishes were used throughout. Currently the project is owner occupied, achieving a net zero energy use, and pursuing LEED Platinum certification.